Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Sunday Sightings

It’s early – around 7 AM. Daylight Savings Time has begun, so the light is wrong for this time of day, but folks are, as usual, already up and about in Midtown.  I pull up to the traffic light at the intersection of Pine and Courtland.  One left turn will take me to the back entrance of my church and the start of a usual Sunday of feverish activity between now and early afternoon. 

At the top of the incline in the next block of Pine Street, I see a school bus, bilious green, sitting with its door open and motor running.  There is just one word recorded in the scrolling sign on the front, showing the destination for today: JESUS.   Lots of guys in rough clothing, toting small bags, are climbing in.  All of them on their way to JESUS.   

No doubt they’ll get a hot breakfast, some heated preachifying, maybe a warm blessing and a cold sandwich for later. I don’t blame them a bit for going along –even if it’s only for the ride.  Folks will be coming to my church for the same thing in just a little while – only there’ll be no sandwich forthcoming for them.

I have this thought: “could it be that simple?” Just get on the bus and go to JESUS? No letters of transfer, no instruction classes no wondering if I will fit in, be dressed right, be getting myself in too deep – getting myself  into something that I can’t get out of later?   Just get on the bus.

 “Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” 
Matthew 11:28-30

No comments:

Post a Comment